Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Beliefs

The dictionary defines belief as meaning something that one is convinced of. But I wonder if we really mean what we say, everytime we use this word. Not everything in life is a question of life & death. So you cant take the analogy of a man lying down on the road in the path of a truck (courtesy "God's Debris - Scott Adams", and claim that he believes in the danger of his predicament and hence chooses to move. What about beliefs that we choose to do nothing about?

Lets say I believe that its going to rain today. But I dont carry an umbrella, dont carry a raincoat and when it rains, I get drenched. Does this mean that I dont believe? Or does this mean that I choose not to do anything about my belief? I guess the latter is probably true.

Extending this further, lets say, you are completely unaware of the fact that its going to rain. And I dont impress upon you the fact that I believe that its going to rain. As a result of which you get drenched. Do I really believe that its going to rain, or am I deluding myself? I know I am not being honest by not sharing my belief, but thats a post for another day. The "moo point", to quote Joey, is whether "I believe".

I know its a harmless situation, but I deliberately wanted to pick on a harmless situation so that there are no other considerations when discussing whether I believe. And, also, cos its a gray area - in the sense that its not important that one acts on this belief. I did not want the focus of this discussion to be based on the magnitude of consequences of my actions; like life and death. Infact, one can choose to ignore this belief. The more trivial the analogy, so much the better for debating, from a purely academic perspective, whether I believe or not.

The pertinent question here is, if my actions dont supplement my suppossed beliefs, do I believe? And for the sake of completeness, I might be forgiven once, for acting foolish - but if I keep doing it again and again, then, do I believe?

--------------

Three and a half years later - here I am once again ... driving myself to write some more. And I keep coming back to this post; since this has generated a lot of interest of a very human nature.

After having read some of the comments, I still scratch my head; unable to grasp that so many of you already have.

Expectation - isn't is a belief that my actions will bear some fruit?

Social pressure - isn't that also a belief, that my actions will bear some fruit? Or for that matter, pressure of any kind?

Does this entire debate finally boil down to the same ideology as that of "value-for-money"; optimise on your returns; get something out of all the effort that one puts in; blah-blah-blah?

Maybe I am rambling - to elucidate I have a belief which requires me to act in a certain fashion. But "expectations/pressures/norms" force me to act another way. So do we calculate in a very cold-hearted rationale and choose our actions appropriately? The more weight-age a belief has, the more likely my action is influenced by that belief?

In which case, can we ever believe in anything at all? Or have I got this all wrong?

3 comments:

Keshab Koch said...

You believe in something you act on it otherwise you do not believe in it in the true sense.

But the action need not always be the 'accepted' action to a belief. If I believe in God, my expected action would be to pray but that is what is accepted for devotion. I could choose for example not to pray but fear God and not do anything I think is wrong. I still believe and probably, in a round about way, I am infact praying. Depends on how you look at it. The point is action is there.

VENU.K said...

Hi,
That was a very interesting look at beliefs.I am happy I stubled upon this blog.
Beliefs are independent of your actions.But you might act in a particular way because of your belief.This is my humble openion and it might not be true as I am not a psychologist.
To take an example you might still treat a dying patient even when you believe there is no escape.Actions are influenced by social pressures,organisational settings,role expectations etc.
It wont be wrong if we say that atleast 80 percent of the time we act against our beliefs
Keep going.My best wishes

Anonymous said...

Belief is a state which can arise from consciousness or can be intuitive.
The action taken on that by a person may not be out of a belief but a combination of belief, present, practicality, emotions etc.
In all belief will be the starting point, action is a derivation from it.